Come Join us in Celebrating 30 years
IRCOM is a one-of-a-kind place! We are a mini-United Nations, with 23 different nations represented in our 2 buildings. We help re-create a sense of community and belonging for refugee newcomers to Canada. Join us for a 30-40 minute tour of IRCOM Ellen, where it all began. IRCOM Ellen was built by South-East Asian refugee communities who mobilized to address a pressing need – housing. 30 years later, we have two residential sites and provide safe, affordable, transitional housing plus holistic, wrap-around supports to 111 newcomer families in Winnipeg.
Following the tours is our Annual Celebration; with food, music and activities for the family.
Tours From 2PM to 4PM
- Walk and talk (stairs and elevators available)
- Videos and posters from the “30 Stories of Migration” will be shown on the tour – short interviews with past tenants, board members and staff – highlighting 30 years of newcomers to Winnipeg finding home again.
- See what a tenant’s suite looks like
- Breathe in the beauty of our community gardens
- Learn about our holistic model – every member of the family receives services to suit their needs and to recognize their strengths
- Hear about exciting new services being planned (Employability for adults and teens, expansion of our Homework Program and more!)
- End your tour by taking a photo or selfie at our 30th Anniversary Photo Booth!
Join the Fun from 4 to 8 PM
- Traditional opening ceremony by Cultural Advisor John Houle
- DJ Dawit
- Giveaways for audience members
- Trio Bembe (Latin music from around the world!)
- Drumming workshop (30 drums!)
- Grade 12 Scholarships
- Ladies of Rwanda Dance Group
- Traditional musicians from various countries
- Children’s Carnival Games and prizes, plus Arts n Crafts
- Giant games – Giant Jenga, Connect 4 and Operation!
- Snapchat Geofilter (a special Snapchat filter that can only be used at the event, specially created for our 30th)
- Book tent
- Cotton Candy
- Face painting and henna
- Winnipeg Trails Association bike repair and road safety obstacle course (will you pass?)
- Food for our tenants, staff and volunteers, and as many guests as we can feed
- World map, map your journey to Canada!
- 30 Stories of Migration Live Stream Launch and Exhibit (created by Mark 1T Consulting)
- Giant photo of our 30th Anniversary Mosaic, created by our talented tenants, guided by local artist Dimitry Melman Komar
- And hundreds of IRCOM tenants, staff and volunteers!